Course ID: 2422
Added: September 21, 2022
Tuition Fee: Fair
Become an expert in the fast-growing area of health design in OCAD University’s Master of Design (MDes) in Design for Health. Study full or part-time at our campus in close proximity to world-calibre hospitals, healthcare-research institutes, and a thriving technology cluster.
OCAD University | College in Toronto, Canada
Name of Program
Design for Health (MDes).
About the Program
Nearly every aspect of health care needs design expertise, including systems, service, program and product design. As more inclusive healthcare policies and practices are developed, health challenges considered in the program include:
- The emergence of new infections including epidemics and pandemics
- Chronic diseases including mental health and addictions
- An aging population
- Health inequities including disparities in access for care for structurally marginalized individuals and groups
- Creating inclusive and healthy built environments
- Global health initiatives including HIV-AIDS and access to medicines
- Patient and caregiver oriented care planning and delivery
- A shift to multi-setting and multi-disciplinary health-care delivery including digital health and telehealth
The interdisciplinary Design for Health program has four main themes delivered primarily through studio-based learning:
- Health contexts: Develop domain knowledge in health, healthcare delivery, communications, technology and innovation.
- Research and application: Identify, design, conduct and apply qualitative, co-design, and quantitative and evidence-based techniques to health challenges.
- Design and innovation: Create new, ethical, and sustainable solutions with health sector stakeholders, patients, and partners.
- Proficiency and leadership within interdisciplinary collaborations: Be embedded in interdisciplinary teams focusing on stakeholders including patients, health-service providers and designers to develop solutions and to communicate outcomes.
We developed the MDes in Design for Health for people who have educational and practical experience in an area of design, the health sector or in the social sciences of health. We seek candidates committed to learning and developing design solutions to complex health challenges.
Most students will hold an undergraduate degree in design, or in a health sciences or social science related field. Some will have experience in design consulting, health administration, patient advocacy, health services, or health technology.
We have many scholarships and funding opportunities available to students in the Design for Health program.
The Manchee Family Graduate Entrance Scholarship. Established in 2014 by the Manchee Family. The scholarships are offered annually to top entering students into the Master of Design, Design for Health program on the basis of merits determined by that program’s Admissions Committee. Two scholarships are available at a value of $9,555 each.
Dr. Semple Graduate Scholarship. Established in 2016 by Dr. Semple, Chair, OCAD University Board of Governors, and awarded for graduate students enrolled in the Master of Design, Design for Health program, on the basis of merit as determined by that program’s Admissions Committee. This scholarship is valued at $1,000.
Research Awards to assist in Design for Health research projects lead by different faculty members in the program.
- Studio-based learning with local and national health sector partners in order to design innovative solutions to complex and contemporary health design challenges
- Guest lectures by designers, scholars and industry experts
- Elective and shared courses from other graduate programs at OCAD University and other post-secondary institutions
- Dynamic and interdisciplinary cohorts
In order to support the needs of part-time students who may be working full or part-time while completing the program, courses are frequently clustered on one week day per term and run during the day. The day of the week may vary between terms and academic years.